Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Answering Reader Mail and Reader Snapshot


Hello New and Old Readers,
Many apologies that I have missed a posting.  Life has been extremely busy, but fun for both work and personal life.  I do realize I have yet to address how to interview for a 2nd assistant.  Rather than not post til I got that up, I thought I'd answer a shorter question and do something fun - give you a idea of who else reads this blog.  
This week's question at Jobstr is below.
Why do you like being an EA? I always have trouble with that question, I like entertainment and media because I like being around dynamic creative people but I don't "like" being an EA. I fell into it and happen to be good at it.


This is a great question!  It does get asked in interviews a lot.  There does not need to be an overly inspiring and Oscar worthy tear jerking answer though if you do have an enlightening passionate answer it’s all the better.  For me, being good at it is an extension of my beliefs and values and I assume it may be for you too.  



For me, I love being an executive assistant because I like helping people.  This is apparent as I volunteer a lot as well.  Life is hard, it’s difficult, and we all need all the help we can get.  Time, energy, and being productive are extremely important to me.  These are intangibles that can’t be bought so once they are wasted, they are gone, forever.  If I can help my executive by lessening their stress, handling tasks for them, and helping them in whatever capacity they need, I feel as though I am making a difference to them, their family, and the business.  It is only for one person or a very small dept/family unit, but it’s really the little things that count.  What you do every day on a very small scale makes a much bigger impact in the long run versus big projects that you undertake with infrequent consistency.  So this small mission statement of my personal life also bleeds into my work life.  Every decision I make is weighed against what I believe and value.  Like the quote says, if you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything.  



At this site, someone else asked a similar question so you may want to read my response to that as well.  



What's your educational background? Do you feel overqualified to be an assistant? Asked by Judith on 05/14/2012


On my other site you can read this blog post:
http://musingsofahighlevelexecutiveassistant.blogspot.com/2012/06/is-ea-role-right-for-you.html

And for an inside look of fellow readers:

No comments:

Post a Comment