Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pursuing Happiness at Work & Home in 2013

This year by far has been one of my happiest. A lot of wonderful things at work and in my personal life make it extra meaningful. As the year comes to a close, I am getting ready to shed the old and bring in the new. While I’ve always been happy, it’s always been a challenge to be engaged and fully active in my day to day personal life. I love work so it dominates a majority of my energy and mental space. And while that’s good, work can only stay meaningful and bring purpose for so long until you need another new, fresh outlet.



As I mull over what I want the next year to be and look like, I am honing in on exploring more of my creative side. For the most part, I’ve always been very curious and more inclined to soak in knowledge, but less inclined in terms of creative self expression. I finally watched the videos for Caine’s Arcade and remembered human interest stories were the catalyst for my degree in journalism. To make an impact, inspire, awe, and get people to ask important, meaningful questions, and seize the day were my goals when I chose my major.

I love my job too much to switch careers. So I think a good compromise would be to explore what else I can do as a hobby in the creative realm, even if it’s just for me. As I brainstorm, the ideas I have come up with are blogging weekly, taking guitar lessons, tutoring kids, photography, sewing, random acts of kindness, skateboarding lessons, traveling, joining a book club, and cooking/baking. These are activities I can indulge in daily or even monthly. And at best, perhaps my involvement in the above activities will impact at least one or two individuals whose path I cross.

On the work front, I hope to read more business and personal growth books. I’d like to blog more, not just on tips and actions for admin to do, but to start thinking about deeper issues and fundamental core values that will impact how you carry yourself and execute decisions. My last post on the 7 defining traits was my first stab at elevating one’s thinking and philosophy of being a professional. I’d like to see it as online mentoring. Because once you get a new perspective, a new insight, and the light bulb clicks, it’s much easier for the behavior and new action to follow. You now have the frame of reference, meaning, and understanding behind that action. At work, I always strive to learn something new or find a new angle to observe something so I plan to continue that as well.

And in my personal life and relationships with loved ones and friends, I hope to learn to be more grateful, more patient, and more selfless. I wish for more fun adventures, new explorations, quality down time, and to be spontaneous (only a little bit on that last one because you know how type A I am!) LOL

And for you, my readers, I wish you the below, as so eloquently stated by Neil Gaiman:

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something. So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”



***New “rule” - when you ask me a question and I answer it, could you write an anonymous comment so I know you read the post? You can just write “Thx!” or something! :)

As always, I usually tweet any new posts I have. And anyone can email me questions and I respond only via this blog, not to your personal address. It usually takes me 3-4 days to answer.

I also write over at Jobstr.com under Hollywood Executive Assistant.

http://jobstr.com/threads/show/4303-hollywood-executive-assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment